Matthew Rodriguez snaps 57 race winless streak at Baer Field

Go down

Matthew Rodriguez snaps 57 race winless streak at Baer Field

Post by FUEL on April 9th 2018, 12:09 am

Matthew Rodriguez, the Season 14 DAYTONA 500 Champion left the series for a few seasons only to return back in 2015... His return to the series seen a rise in underfunded team Athenian Motorsports finding victory lane at Texas World in an upset victory. The next season Rodriguez found himself on board with HorizonGroup which was a real rough part in his career... Rodriguez had a total of 17 DNFS in 57 races with HorizonGroup, however, he did end up winning a race with them back in 2016 at Decatur...

Rodriguez signed a deal with Martin Motorsports mid 2017 to replace Aaron Taylor who had been on the team for 3 seasons... Rodriguez seen a surge in performance being back behind the wheel of a Ford team which he had a lot of success in the early part of his career.

To start 2018 it has been an up and down first few races but with a lot of promise considering the speed he has had. Going back to Baer Field for the first time in many seasons Rodriguez seen this as an opportunity to have a really good outing. Matthew Rodriguez ran Top 5 all night long but didn't seem to have the speed to run the leaders down... That was until the leaders got into an accident racing for the lead that allowed Matthew Rodriguez to challenge for the win.

A pass for the race lead in the mist of lap traffic, Matthew Rodriguez passed Jeffery Finguy to lead the final 4 laps for victory! The win re-energized Matthew Rodriguez in his career as he finally celebrated another victory.

Matthew Rodriguez: "WOOOOOOOOO!!!! Wow I can’t believe what just happened. I’m still processing it. Before I start, I have to give a big shoutout to the SCS officials for creating this awesome format. I hope we get more short tracks for next year! I’m extremely proud with this team so much. We worked so hard to a victory. Luck was in our favors. It’s been so long since I’ve been in victory lane. With how my career was taking a turn and the DNFS, you start asking yourself “Am I ever going to compete up front and challenge for wins?” It starts to haunt you. Getting my second career win at this track is awesome. This is probably better when I won it in my rookie season. I have to give a big shout out to Luke Martin for what he’s been doing with this team and my team, and giving me a opportunity. Love this team! WOOOOOO!!"

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/FUELTheBandicoot

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum