Offline Host
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Perkins, "Series needs to mandate team restructuring heading into 2017"

+8
Mr.YAMP
FUEL
RedViperGaming
McBlair
LHP14Florida
CJ Racing
RocketKnight
f1fan
12 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Perkins, "Series needs to mandate team restructuring heading into 2017" Empty Perkins, "Series needs to mandate team restructuring heading into 2017"

Post by f1fan January 19th 2016, 6:30 pm

One of the big topics throughout the off season has been the rapid fire driver changes throughout the offseason. Most people have had a period to calm down, and really think about what has happened. As of January 12th there has been the introduction of a Sony Cup Series drivers union, with the implication to make communication easier between the series officials, the team owners, and the drivers. A notably cooler then normal Sean Perkins stated in an interview with Motorsport Weekly magazine,

"I think now that we have cooled our heads a bit, and a solution for 2016 is already put in place. I think we can begin to talk about possible reforms in 2017. I like the idea of mandated contracts in 2016. I think the Sony Cup Series did a really good job implementing those changes to keep driver security a forefront issue. As a driver, I personally am happy knowing that I am guaranteed a contract through this season. However there are a few issues that the SCS ought to look at for 2017.

The first of which is having a fixed car count for each team. Lets say each team has to run 3 cars with a 4th car doing part time duty to maybe develop a young driver. I think under those circumstances, we would see an end to the grasp a particular team has on the field. By having everyone run 3 cars, we will put all teams hopefully on an even playing field.

My second idea is having a drivers draft... I know this is a radical idea, but hear me out on this. What this does is prevent a 'power house' driver/team combination. Therefore the championship winning team may not get their driver in the next season. Actually I would highly doubt they would.

The way this would work is, there would be 3 rounds to the driver draft. Each team gets one pick per round. The draft order, would be decided on the total number of points that a team accumulated in the previous year.

So the team with the least total points, will get the first pick in the draft. The team with the most total points, gets the last pick of the particular round.

Now for 2017, it would have to be determined by a random draw, as the bigger teams are at a disadvantage, but beyond that have the order set by points.

This idea will really challenge us drivers to be adaptable to different settings around the league. Each team has a different system of operation. It could create some interesting stories as well.

The final and probably most controversial point is the elimination of owner/drivers participating in the full time championship. What we have seen in the past are that owner/drivers have done better then the drivers in their team. For example, Nick Mace and Jesse Turner were fighting for the championship, both are owner/drivers. Luke Martin might be the only exception to that, but I think that is more to the sheer talent level of the drivers he has in his stable. However it is happening a bit too much to be coincidental. Now owner/drivers would be allowed to compete in the possible 4th car... Which still allows them to get their racing fix in. Plus it also allows for a larger Daytona 500 field.

Keep in mind, in the past I have been very vocal and "in-your-face" about my ideas. But I am coming to you with the utmost sincerity, and I really think this could work."

Last edited by f1fan on January 19th 2016, 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
f1fan
f1fan
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Perkins, "Series needs to mandate team restructuring heading into 2017" Empty Re: Perkins, "Series needs to mandate team restructuring heading into 2017"

Post by RocketKnight January 19th 2016, 6:36 pm

William: ...That is the single stupidest thing I've ever heard.
RocketKnight
RocketKnight
Engineer
Engineer

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1KcUD6K1U0Rms5Z963BmOQ

Back to top Go down

Perkins, "Series needs to mandate team restructuring heading into 2017" Empty Re: Perkins, "Series needs to mandate team restructuring heading into 2017"

Post by CJ Racing January 19th 2016, 6:42 pm

Dodd: The only part I agree in is having 3-Car teams instead of 4 car teams, but beyond that... No thank you! Especially the Owner/Drivers not being able to race for the championship, since that would take me completely out!
CJ Racing
CJ Racing
I Like To Post A Lot
I Like To Post A Lot

Back to top Go down

Post by LHP14Florida January 19th 2016, 6:45 pm

OOC: Other than kindve stealing my Idea of a series....... I am kind of angry
LHP14Florida
LHP14Florida
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by McBlair January 19th 2016, 6:48 pm

Bishop Jr: "In my opinion, I think the first idea is a maybe and the second and third is a hell no. For starters, 3 rides per team? That just takes a lot of the realism out of our series here. This series is kind of running like NASCAR, the top tier teams get more car and the lower tier teams have to work their way to getting 3+ cars. So, for the teams who have 4 drivers, they've obviously been around for a while and deserve the extra car. But having three does give other teams an even chance on making the grid."

Bishop Jr: "I also definitely do not support the draft idea. The point of a series is for drivers to go where they feel comfortable and teams to pick who they want. So if a team like Mace Enterprises which is based off of a powerhouse team wants to be a powerhouse team, so be it. Let them be a powerhouse, it's just up to the other teams to stand up for themselves and dominate with the powerhouse team."

Bishop Jr: "Lastly, of course I say no to your last idea. Team owners deserve to race for the championship if they want, for the most part a lot of them have been in the sport for a long time and are just really good. Hence why Turner & Mace dominated the championship battle towards the end. It would also ruin my career because I am a team owner for Titanium Motorsports with Randy McBlair."
McBlair
McBlair
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by f1fan January 19th 2016, 6:49 pm

LHP14Florida wrote:OOC: Other than kindve stealing my Idea of a series....... I am kind of angry

OOC: Oh was that you're idea, I had a hard time understanding it when you PMed me about it!
f1fan
f1fan
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RedViperGaming January 19th 2016, 6:57 pm

Derp...Idrc...But a Driver's Draft is interesting! CARDEN!!!
RedViperGaming
RedViperGaming
I Like To Post A Lot
I Like To Post A Lot

Back to top Go down

Post by FUEL January 19th 2016, 6:57 pm

I think Perkins brought up some very good points. However on the first idea, it would be a very even playing field but some teams are single car and some are 2, 3 and 4. I think letting the teams have a choose between the car count of 1-4 is a good thing and not just making it, 3 cars.

The second idea, with the drivers draft, I think is a good idea however not from the stand point you're thinking of. I don't think the championship winning team should get last choose of driver. I don't think they should get whatever's left. However I think everyone should get the chance to lay out bids on a driver at the same time. Similar to the old sign up videos back in the day with team owners all commenting to the driver they want.

The third, I don't think I could ever do. I see what you're saying with a team owner should driver for another team or not race at all and not be driving for their own team but that means a lot of drivers would have to otherwise make a change they never would have ever done before. It's a highly big thing, Martin, Mace, Turner, Fisher, Finguy, Hart, Hart, Shelly, Dodd I mean there are a lot of people in this boat and it's just something I'm gonna have to consider and think long and hard about.
FUEL
FUEL
I Like To Post A Lot
I Like To Post A Lot

https://www.youtube.com/FUELTheBandicoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr.YAMP January 19th 2016, 7:38 pm

Jordan Davis: They are all terrible ideas. As teams like ARC can only afford to run 2 cars after running 3 last year and not making any races with 2 of them. SUMS ran 2 last year and had to drop to 1 this year and be part-time. So yeah.

2nd many teams didn't even hire on drivers for more than 1 season. I think Mace was the only one when I was put on for 3 seasons a while back. So every team does have a fair choice.

3rd hell no. This is why I drive for Mace though, because I don't wanna be called out as a cheater.
Mr.YAMP
Mr.YAMP

Back to top Go down

Post by FUEL January 19th 2016, 7:48 pm

The 3 car team idea would be only 3 cars at the max, teams could still run 1 or 2 cars but dropping to a max of 3 cars. Allowing teams like fisher or swagger to easily move up to a 3 car if they wanted to with teams of 4 cars dropping to 3.
FUEL
FUEL
I Like To Post A Lot
I Like To Post A Lot

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr.YAMP January 19th 2016, 7:51 pm

Jordan: No Sean is talking about all teams running 3 cars. I would still disagree with the 3 car max.
Mr.YAMP
Mr.YAMP

Back to top Go down

Post by FUEL January 19th 2016, 7:52 pm

Well, if we did the idea that's how it would be like. I'm not forcing teams to move up, but go down if the idea was put in place. However it's just an idea and I like the way the series is right now with 1-4 car at choice.
FUEL
FUEL
I Like To Post A Lot
I Like To Post A Lot

Back to top Go down

Post by f1fan January 19th 2016, 8:05 pm

OOC: I am for a 3 car maximum to be honest... especially if the free-agent system happens like Noah says it might!
f1fan
f1fan
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr.YAMP January 19th 2016, 8:20 pm

How many teams have 4 cars? 2, 3 if you count Blue Flare with their one part-time. 4 car teams aren't ruining the series so no need to change it to 3. Also we sorta have a draft. A driver put themself up for hire we decide if we want them. No one is running 2 year contracts. Someone could've taken Charles Sandfer and Jake Silverfox from me. It just takes more time than YouTube.
Mr.YAMP
Mr.YAMP

Back to top Go down

Post by f1fan January 19th 2016, 8:23 pm

It is too hard to get a new team though. I asked Noah for one, and the amount of 4 car teams prevented me from getting one!
f1fan
f1fan
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr.YAMP January 19th 2016, 8:25 pm

2, 4 car teams prevented you? How bout that maybe over 10 people signed up to own teams.
Mr.YAMP
Mr.YAMP

Back to top Go down

Post by RedViperGaming January 19th 2016, 8:26 pm

Guys...
RedViperGaming
RedViperGaming
I Like To Post A Lot
I Like To Post A Lot

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr.YAMP January 19th 2016, 8:26 pm

Nick got a new team, Jake got a new team. You just have to be quick on the draw.
Mr.YAMP
Mr.YAMP

Back to top Go down

Post by RedViperGaming January 19th 2016, 8:26 pm

Which Nick?...?
RedViperGaming
RedViperGaming
I Like To Post A Lot
I Like To Post A Lot

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr.YAMP January 19th 2016, 8:30 pm

You.
Mr.YAMP
Mr.YAMP

Back to top Go down

Post by RedViperGaming January 19th 2016, 8:31 pm

Oh, I feel like an idiot. xD I tried to last season but I was too late.
RedViperGaming
RedViperGaming
I Like To Post A Lot
I Like To Post A Lot

Back to top Go down

Post by f1fan January 19th 2016, 8:32 pm

Jake took over Red Bull...

I think there ought to be a 3 car max especially if we do a formal free-agent period. Such as an official start date!
f1fan
f1fan
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr.YAMP January 19th 2016, 8:34 pm

Red Bull wasn't a team in 2015. It came in 2/3 in as a part-time because Jake made the team for 2016 and had the cars done.
Mr.YAMP
Mr.YAMP

Back to top Go down

Post by f1fan January 19th 2016, 8:36 pm

Well, I kind of was upset that Nick Mace and Luke Martin got 4 car teams when I couldn't even get a team...
f1fan
f1fan
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr.YAMP January 19th 2016, 8:43 pm

Nick has always had 4. Luke had 4 back in Season 7, 13, and last season. So both had a reason to have 4. I understand your point, that's why I have 3 cars, but I thought it was okay that 2 teams had 4.
Mr.YAMP
Mr.YAMP

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next