The nerve wracking entry to motorsports: The Story of the First ARCSOA season

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The nerve wracking entry to motorsports: The Story of the First ARCSOA season

Post by f1fan on February 1st 2017, 12:46 am

The first ARCSOA season was highlighted by off-track drama, and nerves for the 20 teenagers that participated in the series. Kenny Myatt highlights what it was like back then. However, before we get to Myatt's analysis here is some insight into the climate then. ARCSOA was initially supposed to be a developmental series. The first season of ARCSOA was also the last for the ARC/RSOA. There was a grand plan that the ARC/RSOA would merge together and form a "master series" that would combine the drivers from both series into one race. However, infighting prevented that from happening. While this was going on, the ARC/RSOA decided to combine together and form a combined developmental series called ARCSOA, a combination of both names. With the plan that the 20 drivers that participated in ARCSOA, would be the stars of the new grand series of the future. However, the infighting put these 20 teenagers on the spot, and forced them to mature a lot quicker than they probably would have anyway.

Here is a quote from Kenny Myatt, "I was being groomed for RSOA competition, I think Nick (Mace) was too. The Hart's naturally were being groomed for ARC. The first season of ARCSOA, was the last seasons for the ARC and RSOA. There was an idea that there was going to be a combined grand series for Season 2, and all four of us were shoe-ins for rides in it. But as the first season went on, it became clear to us as teenagers that the combined grand series would never see the light of day. We were under the impression for a while that the ARC and RSOA would keep fighting to the point of no return. I thought this would be the only time I'd get the chance to race with Noah or Jacob. Both the Hart's were set to go to ARC, and Nick and I would run to the RSOA."

Myatt also described some of the tension of starting out then, "We had no clue of our future. I remember we'd get done with an ARCSOA race, and one of us would have won, and all you'd hear were a bunch of old men fighting over logistical rights. The oldest driver in ARCSOA at the time was Jake Warren, and he was only 20 years old. It was one of those moments where the dumb kids were acting more mature than the adults. We carried on every week developing this upstart, combined developmental series thinking it would only see one season. There was a lot of tension going on."

Myatt was also keen to describe what racing in ARCSOA was like in the first season, "There were races where we didn't have a competition director. He would get distracted from his post to argue with some ARC guys. Then he'd get fired, and an ARC guy would replace him. Then the same thing would happen. There was a brotherhood in that paddock that I can't describe between the 20 teenagers that were on the grid. We realized that we would just have to police ourselves on the track. We did a good job of that, outside of me tipping a porta-potty with Greg Brown in it. We laughed about that for a while until he was killed in a Sony Cup Series crash. I remember ARCSOA would companion either the ARC or RSOA that first year, and as the season went on we were drawing bigger crowds than either of the main series."

Myatt also was keen to recall what happened in the end result. "We knew that a grand combined series was never going to happen. We just thought that ARCSOA would die after a year, and we'd go to our respective series. I think each and every one of us were capable enough to race in either the ARC or RSOA. The big shock was when the RSOA declared bankruptcy. At that time, Nick and I were panicking because we had no where to go in the ARC. Then 5 days later while the ARC was attempting to buy the RSOA's assets, their chief leaders get arrested for money laundering, and the ARC falls. The entire ARCSOA paddock was heading into our championship race in D.C, I had pretty much won the championship leading up to it. All I had to do was not finish last, and I had it. But I was secretly, dirt scared about my future. When I won the championship, there was hardly any celebrating, because we didn't know what the future held for us. I remember at the championship banquet, saying my goodbyes to everyone. I won't deny that some of us shed a few tears. We had all made such good friends, and it all looked like we were going our separate ways."

Myatt then recalls the saving grace moment, "We were all screwed, and because of the capitulation of both series, we lost a few great drivers to other endeavors. But our racing back in the first season of ARCSOA got so much attention that there were buyers. ARCSOA was the only asset from the two series that didn't fold. We were the only ones that made money. One night, I get a call on our home line, and my dad runs up to me and tells me that a Ohio/Michigan based conglomerate bought the assets to ARCSOA and intended on running the series again. They then put RSOA supremo, Bill Carpenter in control. Bill was a nice guy, and really none of the RSOA's problems were his fault. The conglomerate dumped a ton of money into marketing ARCSOA. I remember a week later meeting up with Nick, Noah, and Jacob. These people were my best friends from that season and we had all said our goodbyes to possibly never see each other again. Then a week after the buyout we were all back together at a media event with Bill Carpenter standing in between us. It was all really surreal. The only difference the 2nd season was that, we knew that WE were the 'elite series'"

"That is why I have such a close bond to Noah, Jacob, and Nick today. The younger drivers commonly asked us why we have that bond. We went through the most hellish conditions possible to forge our racing careers. We practically matured together too. Now, I have kids, Noah has a son, Nick probably has a kid out there somewhere that he doesn't know about. We all grew into men together simply because of the conditions we were put under. I think about it a lot today. I am helping my daughter begin her ARCSOA career, and in some ways it is harder to do today. There is a lot of cooperate stuff she has to do, and BFM does a great job in prepping her for it. However, I would not wish it upon anyone to have them come up the way we did. There was so much fighting, and so much nervousness that we couldn't even celebrate victories that first season. Even the second and third seasons, we were still trying to get our footing. But I wouldn't change it at all. Some say that Noah, Nick, Jacob, and myself are the best drivers in ARCSOA history. Why I am not entirely sure about that, I will say our rise was one that was quite a bit more challenging than some of the drivers that I think might be more talented than any of us."

Maddie Myatt:

Erin Perkins:

Sean Perkins:
f1fan
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The nerve wracking entry to motorsports: The Story of the First ARCSOA season

Post by BugattiNightRide on February 1st 2017, 8:30 am

Entertaining!
BugattiNightRide
Rookie
Rookie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The nerve wracking entry to motorsports: The Story of the First ARCSOA season

Post by CJ Racing on February 1st 2017, 9:35 am

*Loud Applause*
CJ Racing
I Like To Post A Lot
I Like To Post A Lot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top