Offline Host
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Outside the Groove (ARCSOA parody of ESPN's Outside the Lines)

Go down

Outside the Groove (ARCSOA parody of ESPN's Outside the Lines) Empty Outside the Groove (ARCSOA parody of ESPN's Outside the Lines)

Post by day500champ1 February 7th 2016, 2:51 pm

This is an idea I was thinking of doing after I wrote up a story for my driver in the team thread. Why not have a thread for stories that could be seen as features on an ARCSOA version of ESPN's Outside the Lines. They can be stories focused on drivers, crew members, team owners, events in ARCSOA history, etc.

I have one already in mind that I'm posting after this. Everyone is welcome to use the fictional names that I use for reporters on their stories. I'd like to see what this group can come up with.

day500champ1
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Outside the Groove (ARCSOA parody of ESPN's Outside the Lines) Empty Re: Outside the Groove (ARCSOA parody of ESPN's Outside the Lines)

Post by day500champ1 February 7th 2016, 3:51 pm

(OOC: Opening logo is shown.)

(Voice Over): And now, Outside the Groove, with James Knoll.

(Knoll): Good evening.  Auto racing is a unique world.  While a majority of the media and fan focus is on the driver, it's the people behind the scenes that usually have the most intriguing stories.

Tyler Denton is one of those people.  Chris David has this story, that goes to show you, that being extraordinary doesn't mean you have to be a driver.

(Denton is shown sitting down in a one on one with David.)

(David, VO): To the average ARCSOA fan, Tyler Denton looks like just another well dressed member of an ARCSOA Elite Series team.  But under that polo shirt and khakis, there's more that meets the eye.

(Denton pulls up the right pant leg of his jeans to show David his medical prosthetic leg.)

(Denton): I was joking with my doctor the one day, in that I said I think this is allergic to rust.  (laughs) But, I guess that why people spend so much time designing and testing them.

(David, VO): Denton was 19 when he enlisted in the US Army shortly after graduating high school.  

(Denton, in one on one interview): I remember, especially my mother, asking why, and I turned to her and said because I want to be able to help those who need it and protect the country I love more than anything.

(David, VO): 4 years later, Denton's unit was on a foot patrol when disaster struck.

(Denton, in one on one interview): One minute I remember talking to guy next to me, next minute bang.  I remember the first thing I thought was that's it, I'm dead, my mom is going to burying her son at the tend age of 23.

(David, VO): Denton had unknowingly stepped on an old landmine that had been setup as an booby-trap.  The resulting explosion severely damaged his right leg.  Despite doctors best efforts, they couldn't save the leg.

(Denton, in one on one interview): I remember thinking after coming to in the hospital, ok, this is a very unfortunate situation, but I'm alive and I'm not going to let this get me down.  I owe it to myself and my family to take this burden and make something positive out of it.

(David, VO): And Denton did just that.  After being honorably discharged from the Army, Denton got an opportunity some can only dream of.

(Denton,  in one on one interview): My father, was high school friends with Gerald [Silver] who was [and currently is] the team principal for SilverSport Inc in ARCSOA Elite Series.  He knew that I was looking for an opportunity and I'm thankful he brought me aboard.

(David, VO): Silver hired Denton to be the pit crew coach for the #82 and #83 pit crews.  And despite his physical handicap, Denton says there is nothing that he can't do.  Even at times one up the guys he trains.

(Denton, in one on one interview): Oh, yeah.  The guys hate me sometimes (laughs).  We'll be outside the shop in the June an July hot and humid summer weather and they are just drained and here I am doing pushups on the pavement.

(David, VO): Denton though has never forgot his fellow soldiers or the memories of his time in the service.   Under that polo shirt, he wears the dog tags of fellow soldier, Ken Howard.  Howard was a member of Denton's unit and tragically lost his life last year.

(Denton, in one on one interview): Everyday I get up, I know is a gift.  That could very easily have been me.  But, I was given another chance and I like to think I didn't waste it.

(David, VO): Chris David reporting.

(Knoll, in studio): Tyler Denton also has made his mark in another way.  Together with SI driver, Ryan Griffin, Denton has founded the Racing for Wounded Soldiers Foundation that gives those in ARCSOA a chance to help the families of wounded service men and women.  Denton truly is unique and special individual.

For Outside the Groove, I'm James Knoll.

day500champ1
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down